Saturday, August 26, 2006

Trains, Coffee, Wedding Planning, Tractors, and Two-Year-Olds

I just love Saturdays. There was a time when I used most Saturdays as workdays, but over the past few years I have come to really enjoy my weekends. First, I took the dogs for a long walk on campus. The dogs have befriended the weekend Security Guard and he brings them treats...like BACON!!! So now they run to greet him when we are done with our loop.

Then I made myself a great breakfast...eggs, toast, fresh tomatoes, and coffee. I did a little cleaning (Christine comes home tomorrow from the West Coast...she is actually staying with friends in San Francisco tonight to catch an early flight out tomorrow). Next I went shopping for a birthday present for a two-year-old. One of my coworkers, Jim Hamilton, son turned two and they had a cookout. I went to the store and actually found a real prize.
This is a scale model of a Ford 8N tractor like my grandfather used in Chesterfield on the farm growing up. I would have purchased 2 of them (one for me and one for the 2-year-old, Christian), but there was only one on the shelf. I think my Grandfather's was a 1947 model, but I can't remember for sure. The tractors had a three point-hitch and were engineered to be rebuilt forever. You can still buy parts for these tractors and they are still in use today. We had a '52 8N at the research farm in Vermont that was still used on a daily basis. Too bad they don't make cars like this. I think one of my uncle's is still using my grandfather's....It is nearly 60-years-old now.After the great toy tractor find, I went down to Panacea, an aptly named local coffee shop, and had a killer mocha. I also got to hear all about my new friend Lauren's wedding plans. Her reception will be at the coffee shop and she happened to be there measuring tables, furniture, and deciding where the dance floor would be and all that good stuff. I really can't think of a cooler place for a reception. After chatting with her I caught up on a bunch of paperwork...made easier by the coffee and then headed off for the birthday party. (after stopping to get this picture of a tanker car on the tracks near my car).

The tractor was hit and so was the puppet show that Jim put on for his son and the other partygoers. There was also a monster truck Pinata filled with carmelitos. Jim's wife Sylvi also made a great birthday cake in the shape of a race track with cars on it for the kids...I think Quinn would have loved this party based on what I have read at Statistically Insignificant Musings. There was a definite automotive theme.

Now I am off to take the 'boys' on their second walk of the day and the evening light is excellent. I will follow that up with a little work on the old bicycle and maybe a movie. What a great Saturday.

No comments: