Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Airports, Skyline, and The Tipping Point

Today's flights went off with out any issues which made the trip to Ottawa nice. I flew from Asheville to Charlotte to Philadelphia to Ottawa. All flights on time and for the most part the seats were fine...a little too close to the lavatory from Charlotte to Phily, but that happens once in a while.

The Westin Ottawa is great and I got a room on the 15th floor with a great view of the city. I got out a bit tonight...but not too far since I have to be up early for the conference tomorrow. The image above is a view from the room.

The in flight read today was The TIPPING POINT How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcom Gladwell. I really enjoyed this book and learned a lot. It will be especially interesting to those in education or training professions. It was another book in my stack that I had been meaning to get to for some time. It was a Bestseller a few years back...and as usual I am arriving to the text behind the masses.

Gladwell's basic thesis (as I see it) is that many biological and social phenomena occur due to similar factors. He spends a lot of time describing and explaining the Law of the Few, Stickiness, and the Power of Context. He also describes three archetype personalities that can drive change...the Salesperson, the Connector, and the Maven.

The most interesting part of the book for me was the in depth description of the testing and development of Sesame Street and Blue's Clues. I had know idea how much effort the creators of these shows put into research and experiments to come up with their 'formula' for success. This section alone is worth skipping the nap on the plane. Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I have another book to add to my "to be read list". I learn so much from reading these blogs. It is a good thing I know you and John!

Buddy Tignor said...

I do think it is a book that you would really like.

you should start blogging to..so we can read what you are up to.

Anonymous said...

I just finished The Tipping Point last week. I don't usually read much non-fiction but I found it fascinating!

Buddy Tignor said...

it definitely made me think long and hard about the forces that drive learning and social change...some of the kinesthetic movement / message experiment results were just crazy