Friday, August 18, 2006

The problem with big backyards...

Sure they look good and the dogs get an awesome place to chase rabbits, but the problem is that lawns have to be mowed. I have almost an acre of grass and I just refuse to buy a riding lawn mower (we will see how long my resolve actually lasts). I just figured that mowing this bad boy with a "walk behind" would force me to either get in better shape or do something like plant more trees.What I did not anticipate was how much faster the grass grows here. We get relatively cool nights and hot humid days and the grass just grows and grows. It seems like I have to mow every 4-5 days and it takes over 2 hours. That white stuff on top of my hat is salt from SWEAT!!! I may have to break down and get a rider or just let the backyard turn into a field. I could probably actually let the lawn to return to mother nature without too many complaints since there is only a farm behind us...

I am stoked for tomorrow...fixed gear racing in Asheville, so hopefully my blog will be a little more exciting.

3 comments:

JamesF said...

Wait, our blogs are suppose to be interesting? Crap. You think someone would have sent me that memo.

The Dogfather said...

Fantastic lawn for puppies. Must remember to hide this blog from the wife (and fur babies).

And never mind the riding mower OR the letting it go. Get some goats.
;-)

Buddy Tignor said...

:-) for jamesf

and we have actually considered goats...and the black dog does exhibit herding instincts...but he also has been known to eat any animals that are less than half his size...which would include goats

Bear is wonderful with kids and such...but rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, groundhogs, and other critters beware ;-)