Saturday, August 12, 2006

The Mechanical Trouble Flim Flam and Back Home

I was glad to get back home to Christine and my dogs. I just love coming to the door and getting ambushed by Tucker and Bear. I was only gone since Tuesday, but you would think they were under the impression I was gone for good. Dogs rock.

Now despite all the new airline security measures this week my return flight out of Canada when well in the beginning. In Ottawa the Canadian security was very nice in during the extra screening and the customs folks were apologetic for the extra questions. BTW, if you ever go through customs at the airport in Ottawa there is a 9 ft tall plastic Statue of Liberty by the office door...probably not what Bartholdi and Eiffel had in mind ;-)

However, when I got to Philadelphia things changed. Nothing to do with the terrorist alert mind you...just the old airline game (I know this sounds more like something from Travels and Tribulations but it is too good not to share). The step by step process happened like this (I am sure most of this sounds famililar).

1. They board the plane at 3:15 for a 3:45 departure like we were actually going to take off.
2. At about 3:40 they close the door to the aircraft.
3. The stewards huddle up at 3:45 and whisper and the leader then phones the pilot.
4. We are informed that there is mechanical trouble.
5. At 3:55 pm the door is reopened an a mechanic carrying a single blue bucket (empty) with no tools goes to the back of the plane and disappears behind the rear galley/lavatory area.
6. At 4:15 luggage arrives and the cargo hold is reopened, cargo is loaded and door closed.
7. At 4:30 more luggage arrives and the cargo hold is reopened, cargo is loaded and cargo door closed.
8. At 4:45 pilot announces that mechanic should soon have the 'systems' problem resolved.
9. At 5:00 one additional airline employee arrives to travel to Charlotte.
10. At 5:10 mechanic leaves...bucket still empty and not a tool in sight.
11. At 5:15 we taxi out to the runway.

What 'systems' problem can you solve on a 757 with a plastic 5 gallon bucket and no tools? I suppose he could have had a leatherman or something.

Needless to say I missed my connector from Charlotte to Asheville so I made this movie in the airport.


I realize there has been discussion on Movie Making software in our little blog circle: Since I was traveling with the College laptop all I had was my digital camera (which takes so so movies) and Microsoft Movie Maker. Turned out OK an only 2.5 MB before the google magic took place.) UPDATE: The music in this clip may be from The Muppet Show originally and not Sesame Street. I have been unable to confirm for sure, but JamesF pointed out that he thought it might be from The Muppet Show. If anyone in our blog circle could be considered an authority on T.V. it is James ;-)

5 comments:

JamesF said...

I thought that song was from the Muppet Show rather than Sesame Street (or am I mistaken on this one).

Buddy Tignor said...

Hey James,

I think you are right. I find it mentioned on google in discussions on shows with titles from The Muppet Show to Sesame Street to Captain Kangaroo.

I could have swore it was Sesame Street...but I defer to you :-)

Besides it help me locate a cool ZZ Top Sesame Street Clip on You Tube!!

BullBunky said...

Yes, I will second James that this is from the Muppet Show. I can vaguely recall the skit.

Either way, it goes GREAT with airport insanity!

JamesF said...

Found it.

The only proof about it being the Muppet Show is near the end where he leaves the stage (and the balcony dudes are a give away at the very end).

Buddy Tignor said...

Definitely! Muppet Show!

good find!