Saturday, August 05, 2006

Freddy Fender Project

So remember when you where a kid...hopefully :-) If your bike had fenders you probably took them off...cause they weren't cool. Well, after the first week of daily commuting as an adult, I have decided that fenders are cool. They keep that cool wet stripe of road grit off your front and back.
I have decided to make my very affordable Bianchi Volpe (pseudo entry level cross/tour road bike) into my daily commuter. It is basically a road bike with some mountain bike components and beefier wheels. Note shameless plug for IMBA above. If you mountainbike...check out IMBA.COM it's important.
Fender installation was fairly straightforward. Wheels off...fenders on.
Except when I put the rack back on over the rear fender. I use the rack for a trunk and panniers to haul my crap around. There was a metal extension at the end of the rack for a rear light and it wasn't compatible with the fender set up...so I got to use the Dremmel...cut through aluminum like butter! Power tools rock. You can see my less than craftsman level skills where the raw aluminum shows on the cut marks.
The finished product...now I can stay a little drier and spend a little less time cleaning grit out of all the nooks and crannies on my bike.

No comments: