Sunday, August 13, 2006

Talk about Gall

I had to mow the lawn today. One of my least favorite jobs...especially since I live on a good size hill and have close to an acre to mow. As I was mowing along the farmer's fence line and donating blood to the Blackberries I spotted this fantastic gall. I had seen these before, but never at such an early stage....it looked like a fruit that didn't belong. The cause is a wasp.

I am always amazed at the cool biology that can be found right in my own backyard...and I am easily distracted while walking behind the mower in hot weather ;-)

From Ohio State Extension:
Blackberry Gallmaker, Diastrophus nebulosis (O-S.) and Related Species
The blackberry gallmaker causes the formation of large knot galls on the stems of brambles. The galls are first green and later red or brown. The causal agent is a tiny wasp in the family Cynipidae.

No comments: