Thursday, August 31, 2006

My dog is hoarder of rodents and pomes.

So you might think this is an odd blog picture, but there is a story here. My dog Bear is a compulsive hoarder. Those of you who are addicted to NPR, like me, may remember the story about the man in the Bronx whose rescue took three hours after magazines, newspapers, and books, he could not bear to throw out, collapsed on him.

It is not Bear's fault, when he was lost in the wilds of Oregon for who knows how long before Christine found him, he had to eat or be eaten and his survival instincts were severely sharpened. Even though we feed him well, he does not like to pass up any potential food items including ground hogs, squirrels, rabbits, chipmunks, voles, etc. Being that he is usually not hungry he buries them in the back yard for later. If I try to stop this behavior he gives me this look like "Dude you can count on sunny days forever if you want, but I'm going to be ready for the rain...you won't catch me starving when Pet Smart files for Chapter 7."

More recently, a wild apple tree on one of our morning routes has been dropping fruit. Bear hides one in his mouth and brings it back to the house for later. He usually only takes a nibble, but it is kind of funny to find these things laying around.

Finally, when posting a comment today the security text graphic actually spelled something. I took this as a good omen. Anagrams include: HE WENT, HE NEWT, THEN WE, TEN HEW, WE THEN, and my personal favorite THE WEN.

No comments: