Sunday, February 19, 2006

Weekend of Good Beer and Even Better Friends

So this past Friday (2/17) was the the Official Guinness Toast. The local Irish Pub (Cody's in Essex Junction, VT) was an official site to join in the toast. Since I am leaving for a new job, a bunch of my colleagues surprised me and met me at the bar for the some good food, good conversation and the toast. The whole thing made me feel like a very blessed person to know so many great people. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera. I received a really cool T-shirt and amazing photo of Mount Mansfield (the mountain seen from our eastern windows in Underhill) as a going a way gift. We also got some official Guinness Toast day t-shirts for participating. Kevin Cody, the owner of Cody's, also gave me a Cody's sweatshirt as an unexpected momento that I will wear in good spirits for some time to come. In fact, we had such a good time several of us headed up to Stowe on Saturday to a microbrewery called The Shed for some more cheer.
The weekend's events reminded me of some great times last spring when we joined Christine's parents in Ireland for a week of touring the southwest coast. I took this shot at a bar called Moriarty's in the fishing village of Dingle. The Guiness is good here, but I believe it might have tasted just a bit better there. Something about the weather and good natured people just makes you want to spend time hanging out chatting.

1 comment:

Marc said...

The Shed is a classic, isn't it? I go there whenever I'm in the Stowe area (usually for fall foliage). They do have really good beers, and the shed burger is excellent.