Saturday, February 25, 2006

Loving North Carolina Already/Goodbye Knotts

After another six hours in the car today I arrived at the cabin. My home for the next few weeks while Christine sells the house. After unpacking the car and setting up the computer I went to the grocery store for the essentials. A local microbrewery produces several interesting beers including this Black Mocha Stout which I just had to put in the cart. The chocolate finish is touted to be achieved through specially roasted barley. I have been disappointed by some local brews in the past, but not this one. It was an excellent beer especially after three long days of solo travel. My mind is refreshed, but I am glad all the sitting still for long stretches of time is over. Highland brewery also makes an Oatmeal Porter which I might need to try next week.

I sadly learned tonight that Don Knotts passed away. This guy was a great comedic writer and decorated WWII veteran. I also never met anyone (who I liked) who didn't think that his portrayal of 'Barney Fife' on the Andy Griffith Show in the late 1960's was one of the funniest things on TV ever.

1 comment:

BullBunky said...

I would assume that in North Carolina, the home of Mayberry, the flags are at half mast. Barney Fife was one of those classic characters that could never be duplicated.