Wednesday, February 01, 2006

North Carolina Hopeful

So I left January 19th for an Interview in Clyde, N.C. Burlington International Airport has undergone some recent expansions and at the new gates there are lots of windows and the walls and columns are covered in maple. This is about the busiest picture I can imagine taking.Clyde, N.C. is located due west of Asheville, N.C. The job is to develop some on-line courses for the Horticulture program at Haywood Community College. I was really impressed with the campus. A concerted effort has been made to preserve green space and it shows. The main entrance to the campus is shown above. The horticulture complex had a good size glass greenhouse and a new propagation house. Rodent control is provided by a cat named 'Flower.' You have to love that. The instructors and administrators were very personable and I hope to be employed there very soon.A friend and former graduate student in our department, Andrea, was very generous and showed me around Asheville and also drove all over western North Carolina so that I would have a chance to scope out potential living sites for Christine and I. It was a cloudy overcast day, but my favorite town near Clyde was Waynesville. It had a really nice downtown with several good restaurants and a furniture/coffee shop with some very amusing owners. Asheville is awesome, but Christine and I have promised ourselves to a shorter commute wherever we go next.

No comments: