Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Weekend Shots from Waynesville

I took some time on Sunday to get some shots around town that I had been wanting to capture for a few weeks. This is the old drive-in. I would love to find a shot of it in operation to post a comparison.
This is what I think was a furniture factory in better days. It sets on the edge of one of the main entrances to town right next to a Vet's office. Makes me wonder what a hub of activity it must have been at one time.
Plants, weather, vandalism, and time are slowly reclaiming it now.
Too bad someone didn't find a better use for it prior to it reaching this state of disrepair.
Finally, the few remaining Tobacco growers in the area began harvesting. This Burley was cut by one worker and then speared on the stake by a second worker. I am told that the correct term is that the worker "spuds" the plant on the stick. I am not a huge tobacco fan, but my grandfather grew it and so I enjoy seeing it around.

4 comments:

JamesF said...

So...

Is it called difference things in different places? I've always heard it referred to as a drive-in versus a drive-thru. I'm assuming that first picture was of an outdoor movie theater where you would park your car and watch the film.

Buddy Tignor said...

thanks for catching that....should have been drive-in ...maybe I was hungry for fast food :-)

Anonymous said...

Check this site for info on the drive in. I found a shot of an old one in action in my neighborhood that's long since been torn down.

Buddy Tignor said...

thanks for the site recommendation bobgirl. The drive-in is on that site, but alas no photo...the search continues