Saturday, September 23, 2006

Random Saturday

This morning I participated in Clean Sweep. Haywood County has an interesting watershed. No water flows into it via stream and everything leaving the county exits only via the Pigeon River.

This means that if water quality is poor there is no one to blame but us, the residents. That does not stop controversy and finger pointing, but it does limit the number of accusations considerably and gives attorneys a few less scraps to fight over.

During Clean Sweep about 25 volunteers cleaned about 2 miles of Richland creek. My team consisted of myself and seven Forestry and Wildlife Management students from the college. We probably pulled about 600 lbs of crap from the waterway including 2 tires, a wallet (with a NC drivers license and social security card), a wooden pallet, 50-60 beer cans, a 15' X 15 foot carpet, part of the front end of an old car, and about a zillion plastic grocery bags. When I am given the choice for plastic or paper from now on I am going paper! I know there are environmentally sound reasons to make either choice, but that plastic just hangs in the plants on the bank for eternity.

The clean up wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. The stream was remarkably clean considering it runs through downtown. Areas near bridges were the worst. The few people around who still chuck garbage in the stream apparently don't like to walk and tend to pull up next to the bridge and throw their trash over.

Since several of the folks on my blog roll regularly post reviews of the yummy food they have recently eaten I thought I would entice them with the image above from Waynesville. The same Citgo also serves Cappuccino, fried chicken and pizza, so there is something for everyone.
I took this shot after Christine and I got back from a late coffee and early lunch at Panacea. I just took it from the car window. I liked the angles.

No comments: