Sunday, September 17, 2006

Foggy Mountain Morning

I got up this morning and walked the dogs. It was unusually misty and foggy...even for here. Near the end of our regular walk there are three donkeys. Their ears always stand up when they see Bear approaching. I had this great plan for a shot with the donkeys kind of fading into the foggy backdrop. I rushed home to get me camera and drop off the dogs. Great plan, but it turns out that these donkeys absolutely love people. As soon as I walked back without the boys, they cantered over for pets and a closer look at what I was up to. Oh well...I'll have to wait and try that one again.
On the way back from the donkeys I saw this web and the Black and Yellow Argiope (ar-GUY-oh-pee) waiting behind. This is the spider that is at the center of the old southern myth that if you see your initials in the spider's web you will be dead in three days...looks like I am still safe at the moment. That story must have horrified kids with M,V, W, N, and O's in their initials. I can imagine around Halloween, with an overactive imagination, you might be able to see anything in there.
One of neighbors is into natives and has some beautiful staghorn sumacs on his property. The fruit is a fantastic color in the fall.

3 comments:

BullBunky said...

Heh, the donkey is a great shot. Love how it is coming at me thru the frame.

Buddy Tignor said...

This one was truly an accident. I was trying to get a different view, but the donkey just did not want to cooperate...was more interested in 'tasting' the camera than anything else :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I can see my initials in the web!