Wednesday, July 12, 2006

License Plate Screws and Sunsets

Well we finally registered the Honda Element in North Carolina today. Christine did her time at the Vehicle Tag Office, while I lucked out only having to change the plates when I got home, or so I thought. Seems 3 winters of Vermont salt and extreme weather conditions froze the screws. It was one of those little jobs that steadily got out of hand. Eventually, I was able to rip the rear Vermont tag in half with some needle-nose pliers and then use channel lock pliers to remove the completely rusted (screw drivers were useless at this point) screws that formerly held the tag in place. At this point sweaty and nearly defeated I drove to the local auto-parts store 5 minutes before they closed and got some new screws. It is these little car engineering details that drive you crazy...knowing the conditions cars are in, why not devise a better system for mounting plates...or better yet just use a corrosion proof bolt...I would have gladly paid the extra $2.50 on top of the 18K I paid for the vehicle :-)
Anyway, to calm down I looked through some old beach photos of a trip Christine and I made to Sanibel Island, FL. Some of the sunset pictures were nice and soothing. I got started down the beach nostalgia road after checking out some more of James' posts at SIM.

No comments: