Thursday, March 09, 2006

Muscular Strength/ Endurance Report

The gym I joined here in North Carolina offers a free fitness evaluation as a perk. I had never had one of these before, so I thought it would be a good idea and it was free. So here for the whole world to see are my fitness stats or lack thereof.

Age: 37.93 years (very accurate)
Non smoker
moderate regular physical activity
height: 68"
weight: 162 lbs (this was after my coffee)

STRENGTH

Bench press: you had to bench 80lbs repeatedly to the beat of a metronome for as long as you could I did 22 before my rythm (make that muscles) gave out. The ePhysiologic software rated that as Good for my age.

Abdominal crunches: you had one minute to do as many as you could. I did 37, rating: Intermediate.

HandGrip Dynamometer: measures grip strength. My best a 36, rating Poor. The trainer said I need to work on this one.

Sit and Reach:
Ancient torture device to measure flexibility. My best a 16, rating Average.

BODY COMPOSITION

Lean weight: 134.40 lbs
Fat weight: 27.60 lbs (mostly spare tire, but some probably in my cranium)
%Body Fat: 17%
Average for men my age: 15-21%
Interpretation: I was in my target weight and body composition zone, so I have no increased risk of death due to cardio disease. However, lowering my body fat could improve my performance in endurance activities. The software also advised that I not lose too much weight as that might be adverse to my health. At age 37.93 I am really not concerned about losing too much weight, not with the way I like to eat anyway.

AEROBIC CAPACITY

Stationary bicycle riding with increasing resistance. Result: Average. I was a little suprised at this one. I tend to do aerobic exercise a few times a week. I guess I need to do a little more.

Well there it is. Doesn't look like I will expire tomorrow, but there is still more work to do. Especially on my grip. I am going to blame that one on computers.

No comments: