Saturday, March 11, 2006

Adoption


I went to the Organic Grower's School today to do some recruiting for the college and just enjoy meeting other folks involved with horticulture. One of the local high schools has an adopt a chicken program. For 5$ you get to choose the breed and name your chicken and the students in the agriculture program will raise it. I never even thought of adopting a chicken before, so those of you who know me know I had to do it.

There was actually very little paperwork and I got to hold a Rhode Island hen like mine, but I was told that the one I held wasn't actually the chicken I had adopted. This had me concerned for a brief moment, but the chickens all seems so well adjusted that I thought their care must be excellent. I adopted a Rhode Island Red because that is the type that my Dad used have when I was a kid. I promised the kids that I would drop by the school and check on my chicken. Maybe I'll send my chicken a care package once in a while to...some organic feed or maybe a chew toy.

3 comments:

BullBunky said...

We had a hen that looked just like this one that we named Louise. The other hen's probably had names, but they aren't cemented in my memory. But I'll always remember our two mean ole roosters. One was black and one was white. Being the era of the first Star Wars, we named them Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader :) My brother and I were oh so creative.

Buddy Tignor said...

We had a rooster for a while named Potsy (after happy days character). He got mean with time to. One day my dad came home from the chicken coop with scratches on his head and I never saw Potsy again. I have a sneaking feeling that Potsy got aggressive with the wrong person that day and made a quick trip to rooster heaven :-)

BullBunky said...

Cliff and I used to taunt the roosters to chase us, and I think at times the karma just worked against us.