Sunday, March 12, 2006

First Ride in North Carolina

I took a few hours off this afternoon to go for a bike ride. It looked like it was going to rain at first, but it cleared off and tempertures approached 80 F. Not too far from the cabin I am renting is the Nantahala National Forest. I headed towards the Tsali Recreation Area which had been described in numerous publications as a mecca for mountain bikers and horseback riders.The trail did not disappoint. The right loop is open to bikers on sunday (they alternate between horse and bike access). It was a 13.9 mile loop that must have been close to 10 miles of single track like the image above. The Southern Pine Beetle has done a number on many of the trees, but there were still some densely wooded areas, several, stream crossings, and a couple of deceiving puddles. I say deceiving because I took a digger on one and went over the handlebars on another. The trail was very dry, but where there were puddles they were deep and lined with rim sucking mud. I thought the first crash was a fluke, so being a scientist I replicated the experiment and crashed again. I was finished with science for the afternoon. The trail was mostly rolling with lots of chances to do a little aerobic work and catch a little air. The trail is well maintained and suitable for beginners and more experienced riders alike.Back at the trail head cleaning up to go home. I had quite a bit of that good North Carolina mud embedded in cuts and on my skin. Luckily I had a few towels around and managed to sit in Christine's car without trashing it.Back at the trail entrance there was some interesting information in the trail brochure I thought I would pass on. "The Tsali Recreation Area is named after a Cherokee Indian who once lived in the area. The U.S. Army captured Tsali and his family during the Cherokee Removal in 1838. Tsali and others escaped during the march (Trail of Tears) along present day Fontana Lake. During the escape two soldiers were killed, and Tsali and three family members were later executed for their deeds.

For some, Tsali is a symbol for country and home against the unjust Cherokee Removal. Today the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians resides in and around their ancestral lands, the Qualla Boundary, located 12 miles east of the Tsali Recreation Area."

No comments: