Friday, October 06, 2006

Fall Apart

It has been an interesting week at work...and not really the good kind of interesting. It reminded me of a quote I had seen somewhere and written down:

College football would be more interesting if the faculty played instead of the students - there would be a great increase in broken arms, legs and necks. ---H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)

Sometimes the absurdity of departmental politics can leave even the most hopeful of us a bit dismayed.
Then I went outside and I remembered why I like my job. I get paid to teach others about plants. Just look at these pictures, conveying the science behind these creatures is pleasurable. Most plants are outside. Most plants are fantastic. Plants don't talk. Plants just grow.
...and at certain times of year perform wonderful magic. In the fall if I close my eyes and listen to the dry leaves blowing around I am 38, 29, 22, 18, 12, and finally 8 again...riding my bike down that dusty dirt road wind at my back, unzippered nylon windbreaker flapping in the wind, suede hushpuppies pumping the pedals, and dog named Blue running along side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I need your job. And leaves like those for a centerpiece for my table.