Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Seamus and the impossible 40...

First, a picture I took of Seamus a few weeks ago (pre-haircut). We bought this recliner and he loves to sit in it and watch movies. His current favorite, almost an obsession is Milo and Otis. I don't know what it is about this movie, but he can't get enough. He definitely looks All-American in front of the tube. Archie Bunker would be proud.

I have a meeting in Greensboro tomorrow and had to drive down today. I decided to see if I could break 40 mpg in Christine's 2002 Honda Civic Sedan. I heard of folks getting 42-44 mpg in this model. The trip is almost entirely Interstate with a couple of big hills and then rolling to flat terrain. I did run the AC, but all the windows were up. I also did not exceed 65 mph during the entire trip and kept the cruise on for 80% of the way. I also tried to accelerate very modestly.

The best I could do? 39.527 mpg for the 212 mile trip. I bet if I went 55 mph I could get 42, but I might also wind up stuck to the grill of an 18-wheeler! Cost of fuel for the one-way trip $19.49

No comments: