Wednesday, January 23, 2008

In a dark room with Jeff Corwin...

Jeff Corwin was the Keynote speaker at the Educational Technology conference I am attending. I must admit, that even without animals, he was an intriguing speaker. The guy really has an interesting job. I was most impressed with his ability to intelligently discuss conservation issues in a manner that indicated how critical the situation is without sounding radical or alarmist. I left feeling I should try to do a little more in this arena.

Another thing I have learned over and over is that there are many teachers that love teaching to the point that they have alternate careers to finance their teaching dreams. I met an English teacher in the public school system from LA who writes scene transitions for the theater, movies, etc. He is currently getting lots of work since has been non union for a few years. I didn't even realize there was writing work that was that specific.

I met another lady who teaches elementary school, but develops learning software on the side. We should give talented men and women like these raises so they can focus on education full time. We would all be better off.

The only negative so far is the the number of exhibitors that are exclusively demonstrating software products that help kids meet expectations on standardized tests. Most of you with kids know this, but the testing has gotten out of control. In my humble opinion schools with low test scores need management intervention that involves a bigger budget not a smaller one.

No comments: