Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Efficiency at the expense of customization...

I take maybe 3 or 4 substantial trips a year. For me, substantial means 3-4 days away from home involving flights and/or rental cars. Since I am an educator, we usually wind up making our own arrangements.

I made my usual reservations this time which included reserving seats. I got an e-mail a few days ago that my flights had changed. No biggie, it only translated into leaving about 10 minutes earlier.

Both flights were completely full, which means they probably consolidated. I actually applaud this effort and think it makes good business sense. However, in the process I was told they were unable to honor my seat reservations. On my second flight I was relegated to seat 49C even though I purchased this particular flight over 3 months ago. My question is...what is the process for deciding who gets what seats. We were talking a giant flight here with tons of seats...why did I wind up in the absolute last row in the center aisle? Random draw, punishment for flying coach, flying alone... hmmmmmm

3 comments:

JamesF said...

I can answer this one, it's punishment for not flying frequently. Since by definition you aren't a returning customer they put you at the end of the wish list. It's sort of a catch-22 though since by doing that to someone they probably won't be a returning customer (but I think all the airlines do it, so it's like having to pay your travel dues, just ask John, he still seems to have to pay his dues occasionally and he travels all the time).

When I went out to California last year I got stuck on a completely full flight in the middle seat of last row. When I asked about seating priority it was like super premiere members, premiere members, normal members, then everyone else. What level member you are depended on how much you flew the previous year (I hadn't flown that provider at all previously) and how much you've flown the current year (again, none for me).

Curt Sawyer said...

James is complete correct. I used to be Platinum on American (I am now Gold due to a decrease in travel/flights), and I was once at a counter where the person ahead of me (no status with the airline) was rebuffed when he asked for an exit row seat. I stepped up immediately afterwards and was given an exit row seat upon request.

This situation actually breeds airline loyalty, since you want the status to get the preferential treatment and once you get status you want to keep it.

I have had few flights this past year and may lose my gold status on American, and I'm considering purchasing enough miles to keep the status. It is that worth it.

Buddy Tignor said...

Why am I being punished :-)

I think the way to turn this around would be an infrequent flyer bonus. Most folks that fly a lot have to because of work. One airline or another will get their business or their business's money.

Those who don't fly often might be encouraged to fly more if they felt special. ...and I am not talking a a a big bonus, maybe just 16A special instead of 49C purgatory.

I imagine there are lots more infrequent flyers than there are frequent flyers :-)