Sunday, April 22, 2007

Marvelous Garden

I got a chance to see a great garden this week. I wish it had been a better day for pictures...but in too short a time it started to rain. A retired surgeon lives on 20 acres overlooking Asheville. The house was built by the original owner/builder of the Grove Park Inn in 1906. The home went through a series of owners and then during Prohibition a 100 gallons of whiskey were found in the basement and the land became federal property.

Interestingly, it became the summer White House for Herbert Hoover. There is even a second home by the gate that was built for the Secret Service. The neat thing is that the property seems to have been owned by a series of people who loved gardening in one way or another and the surgeon maybe most of all. He is an artist, woodworker, surgeon, and I must say all around gentleman. A real Renaissance kind of guy.

This sign was hanging in the greenhouse. I promised myself I would Traipse at least once this week :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE that sign!

Seamus is one cute little boy.