Saturday, April 08, 2006

France Final Installment

Just one of the endless alleys at the Versailles Gardens. These trimmed trees give the illusion of the large grounds being absolutely enormous.
When we went to the Louvre they had several galleries that indicated large format paintings. I had seen some of these paintings in books before, but I never read the small print that indicates their actual size. Large format really means large format.
These 'smart cars' actually create new parking spaces for themselves between real parking spaces and walkways, fire lanes, etc. According to a couple of locals the police don't give them parking tickets because even though they are not in a parking space they are also not breaking any laws such as obstructing a pedestrian walkway. Neat.
I think we should all have to own one of these for short trips, but I must admit the thought of being on the road with big American SUVs in one of these is a little frightening.

5 comments:

BullBunky said...

Yeah, we have thought many times about the practicality of a small car for our city driving and parking. But on the open road, I think we would just be a target. The solution seems to be one tiny car and one SUV--like having a yacht and a dingy. We have none of these.

BullBunky said...

Oh, and I've enjoyed this whole Paris series. Its given me some ideas for our trip in May...unless the whole country goes on some labor strike.

But Jeff has been real keen on taking me to the Louvre and Versailles. So, I don't see how we can skip France :) I'm all pumped up.

BullBunky said...

Oh poo. One last observation.

Paris does look more orderly that Italian cities. We noticed some of the same parking habits (small cars crammed into every free space), but they also considered medians and parts of sidewalks as fair game. Oh, and throw in a zillion Vespas, which can fill up the last few inches of vacant space.

We must look crazy with our enormous (and orderly) parking lots :) I think its just space envy.

Buddy Tignor said...

I know you will have a great time. We are going back to France at some point. Five days was barely enough to scratch the surface.

Where I really want to go is the Paris Catacombs :-) ...but we didn't get to it. I would love to see what you and your camera might bring back from there.

Anonymous said...

buddy,

I came to your site via John's site. I really enjoyed your pictures of your France excursion. Please post some more! It reminds me of previous trips there.