Saturday, April 22, 2006

France Back By Popular Demand

Several folks had requested more Paris pictures, so here they are. I have a zillion more, but I don't have the gifts that John Coe has so I am already into my "middle of the road bunch", but hopefully the subject matter will be interesting. I really enjoyed all the roof top gardens in Paris, since so many people are crammed in the city they try to put plants everywhere.
Parisians also make regular use of large public spaces since the city is so dense. It is a city built on the human scale for the most part and not the car. I really liked how the paving stones in front of an arch (near the Louvre) extended out to the lawn and transformed into a long row of hedges. It effectively unified the space connecting statuary, hardscape, and landscape.
In the universal language of graphic design it is clear that although these activities are unsafe for children they must be fine for adults. I didn't try the foot thing, but bannister sliding is fun even when you are nearing 40.
Charles DeGaul airport is really interesting from an architectural view. Lots of organic forms. Some of the air conditioning vents apear to grow out of the walls, but I thought this people mover was hilarious. I can just imagine Inspector Clouseau in a ridiculous chase scene trying to run down some criminal.
You could be in Paris a month and not really do the museums justice. The artwork was great, but I was also just fascinated by the spaces that the architects and interior designers have created to showcase the work.
Large gallery roof line in the Musée d'Orsay (converted from a train station).
Gallery space in the same museum. Gaps in the wall entice you into the next viewing space.
What can I say, I love the fact that public transportation is so readily available in Paris. You really don't need a car at all. Between bus, train, and metro you can get anywhere.
Finally, the sister to lady liberty in New York.

1 comment:

BullBunky said...

Well, I do appreciate the kudos.

But anyhow, I'm enjoying your travelog. I'm particularly intrigued by the airport shot. Looks like people going every which way throught the air.