Monday, September 03, 2007

Vista for the e-machine

Well against all recommendations I did it. I upgraded from XP to Vista... It really was not bad at all. I had to locate 2 drivers myself, but that was it. The only program that had a challenging number of service packs, patches and upgrades to install was Visual Studio 2005.

The machine is a late 2004 emachines with 2GB of Ram, an upgraded video card (256MB PNY of some cheap model number(nVIDIA GeoForce 6600? I can't remember what was on sale at Tiger Direct )) and a newer power supply. The processor is an AMD AthlonXP 3000+ 2.17 GHz.

So far I really like it. My computer actually seems a bit faster. Probably because I did a clean installation and the registry is probably a lot more nimble now. The interface is really slick. It kind of reminds me of the PowerMacs with OS something or another I used a couple of years ago in an applied computer graphics course I took.

...and for once wallpaper I like came installed.

2 comments:

JamesF said...

Gz, your emachine puts my normal machine to shame. Of course I haven't actually upgraded in about four years, and I got low end of the tech curve when I did upgrade. I guess I've just found I don't need that much raw processing power for day to day operations and I'm not playing a lot of games these days (and the ones I do play are older and don't require the latest and greatest hardware).

Buddy Tignor said...

The main reason for the upgrades was video processing. This machine is still relatively inadequate for that. Sometimes I can read a book while converting a lecture into a Flash-based presentation :-)