Sunday, September 23, 2007

Education System in America



What is wrong with the Education System in America?
  1. Administrators
  2. Teachers
  3. Students
What is right with the Education System in America?
  1. Administrators
  2. Teachers
  3. Students
Just when I am about to pitch in the towel for good, I meet a student working three jobs to buy textbooks, a teacher covering supply expenses out of pocket, or an administrator working weekends to develop strategic partners to increase funding.

These people keep me going when I meet administrators who could care less, teachers that think students are a drain on their time, or disengaged students who show up and waste everyone's time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wait until Seamus enters school. SOL's have taken the joy out of learning and out of teaching, per our friends who teach. I reteach most of what they learn, because of the rushed instruction, or no instruction. My kids participate in Odyssey of the Mind and GT programs for some critical thinking and fun learning, but ironically, that further compacts their day. Nearly 500 in my immediate community homeschool, including 10 families in my church, and it's looking like the best option when affordable. Off my soapbox now...

Buddy Tignor said...

I have heard! ...and now you have confirmed it. Home schooling is also big in Western NC. ...mixed results though, some home schooled kids supplement with courses at the community college and are very advanced, others show up and seem to struggle quite a bit more.

...I would agree that standardized testing tied to budgets has changed the game in public schools and not for the better.