Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Old Truck and Air Conditioning on Subarus

So I got to go on a neat trip today. My friend Jim has a 2002 Subaru Outback. I think it is even the L.L. Bean edition. Anyway, his airconditioner has given up the ghost. He tried valiantly today to find an 'old school' local mechanic to fix it up, but no dice. There was one guy, Gus I think it was (the best mechanics are always named Gus or Earl...don't ask me why, but you can trust a Gus or Earl), who had the software diagnostics program, but his version only went through 2001 Subaru's. He gave it a try for Jim, but things had changed just enough that the error code wasn't in the book. I got to look around some great old cars while I waited to ferry Jim back to the office.
This one International Harvester truck caught my eye. Tons of miles...and as a result lots of great textures.
The shadow from the huge side view mirror mounting brackets reminded me of a tree. Horticulture on the brain...it is an affliction :-)

2 comments:

BullBunky said...

1. If you name your child Gus, then most certainly will become a mechanic. Its required.

2. Are these b&w shots "toned" in some way? Maybe its an optical illusion, but they have this nice glow about them that reminds me of darkroom selenium toning.

Buddy Tignor said...

Well I always take everything into photoshop and make adjustments until I like the look.

...not knowing much about photography at all is a bit of a hinderance :-) but photoshop is a good equalizer for the ignorant like me :-)

I basically adjusted the color balance to achieve a 'crisper' (I know this is the wrong term) look, then dropped the color information and slightly tweaked the brightness and contrast.

I wish I knew what selenium toning was ;-)