Sunday, May 14, 2006

Smorgasbord

I had quite a few things to post and now that we are moved in I just decided to post a bunch of unrelated fun stuff. First, I finally got a copy of Adobe CS2. The image above is a picture of a moonrise over Sesame Street in the mountains of North Carolina. I applied the "plastic wrap" filter. I had to try it...not sure what I would normally use it for, but it is fun.
On campus there are two trees that have grown together. The maple (left) and oak (right) are fused for the first five feet of there trunks. If it ever has to come down I am dying to get a look at some trunk cross sections. Theoretically these two should not form a successful graft union...so my hunch is that there is a region of wound healing that has been going on for about fifty years allowing the two trees to persist.
The unholy union from another view point. The maple foliage is highlighted in green. The oak foliage is shown in orange.
We recently had a great celebration for a couple of faculty that are moving on to new chapters of their lives and it turns out almost everyone in our department (except me) is musically gifted. I got a couple of interesting shots during the impromptu jam session.
American guitar and Gambian drum.

No comments: