Saturday, September 13, 2008

Fuel before food...

So, I am not sure if many of you are experiencing this in your hometown or not. Here in Western North Carolina, due to our location, fuel delivery routes, the hurricane (nowhere near us), or some unknown combination of these and social factors, there is a gas panic.

When I returned from Raleigh on Tuesday I filled up the Civic and regular unleaded was $3.69 per gallon. On Friday when I rode my bicycle into work the neighborhood gas station was selling regular unleaded for $3.89. By 6 pm that evening the price was $4.19 as I pedaled home. Today ....it is $4.89. That is $1.20 more than Tuesday!

It doesn't appear folks are worried about food, but the thought of walking, cycling, carpooling, or heaven forbid public transportation is leading to a purchasing frenzy...apparently unaffected by price.

No comments: