Saturday, March 01, 2008

Winter Sun Dog... and not so deep thoughts

Tucker was enjoying the warm day out on the patio. Made for some interesting shadows.

I had a few minutes to think today and kept coming back to effective strategies colleagues can use to slow any project down. Yes, you can guess what type of week it has been. I used to get upset about this stuff, but now I just laugh.

PERSONAL TOP 10 LIST of MOST COMMON METHODS TO SLOW PRODUCTIVITY.
  1. Pretend my e-mail never arrived, even though almost all modern e-mail clients (including the one I use) report when Sent mail is opened.

  2. Pretend my second and 3rd e-mails never arrived.

  3. Don't answer the phone when I call, but answer immediately when the administrative assistant calls to schedule an appointment.

  4. Start off any conference call with "Let me tell you why this will never work...."

  5. End any conference call with "Good luck with THAT!"

  6. Act like a CAVE person (I heard this recently somewhere I wish I could give someone credit for the acronym Colleagues Against Virtually Everything)

  7. Pretend you know what everyone is talking about even when you are clearly lost. People are usually willing to stop and explain....this goes much better sooner rather than later.

  8. Claim you missed a deadline because you are tired from being overworked and before the meeting is over talk about the wild weekend you had.

  9. Send a representative in your place that has been told nothing about the project.

  10. Make a funny about my hair. Hey I can laugh at myself, but coming up on 40 your joke is likely not original and I probably heard it before. If you are going to make fun, target something easier like the lack of my ability to dress to the current decade. More folks will laugh, especially the other bald guys in the room.
Just to let you know that I am not too jaded, soon I will post a Top 10 of truly amazing things colleagues have done without even being prompted. I do have good days at work to.

2 comments:

JamesF said...

Don't answer the phone when I call, but answer immediately when the administrative assistant calls to schedule an appointment.

I've had this problem with out HR department. I used to dial an outside line and dial their direct number, that worked in days before caller id.

Buddy Tignor said...

I hear you. Caller ID is yet another tool that is on occasion misused to slow time down :-)