Sunday, November 25, 2007

DDD

My Mom is spending Thanksgiving with us, so it gave Christine and I a chance to go see a movie. We rarely go the the cinema anymore because the one in the small town where we live stinks "literally" and "figuratively." Also the cost of movies is a little shocking these days and Netflix seems to be a great alternative service for us.

We decided to see Beowulf in Digital 3D, no IMAX playing it near us. We made the drive and got to the cinema just as a new church was letting out. Apparently, this theater rents space out to a church on Sunday mornings...true building multi-use.

Let me just say that I wasn't expecting much. I had memories of a Godzilla movie I saw in 3D as a child. Well things have come a long way. For starters no free cardboard and cellophane 3D glasses. There is a $2 charge for glasses that you keep (only option). These are plastic and the colored lenses are gone.

Overall, I was impressed with the technology. It did take about 5 minutes for my eyes/brain to adjust, but after that it was natural. Crisp depth and unlike the old movies lots and lots of different layers.

Beowulf was OK, very gory, and a few gratuitous scenes to highlight the 3D technology, but overall I enjoyed it. I am looking forward to future 3D offerings.

2 comments:

JamesF said...

I'm probably an outlier, but I admit to thinking (hoping?) this was going to be a completely different kind of post when I saw the title "DDD". :-)

Buddy Tignor said...

I seriously doubt you are an outlier among my regular readers :-)