Sunday, January 20, 2008

Useful information...

I tend to Lollygag around the Internet, but I am always impressed and amazed at the useful information out there. I am traveling to Orlando to a conference. I wanted to edit some videos of a pine nursery that we are using for course development. Those of you who work with video know that these aren't small.

I have a little USB external hard drive (40 GB) that is useful for moving files between my desktop and laptop. However, I never tried moving video files. I attempt to move a 4.7 GB 24 minute video clip over and I get a message box "File too large for destination folder system." I do a little search on the internet and several folks recommend typing (drive letter): /fs:ntfs /nosecurity in a command prompt for a painless quick fix.

I type in the magic string and it works. The file limit of 4GB on the FAT32 drive is no longer an issue on my newly reformatted NTFS drive. Even a Horticulture dude can solve problems with the help of the great number of helpful IT bloggers out there.

3 comments:

JamesF said...

I recently ran into the same problem with a new 500 GB external drive. However, since I've heard rumor Linux can't mount ntfs drives I've left it as FAT32 for now (especially since if ntfs is incompatible with Ginger new Mac computer that would really be a downer).

Buddy Tignor said...

I wish we had that problem here. I like Windows based OS just fine, but I had a few courses for the Adobe/Macromedia Suite using Macs and liked that OS to.

I haven't used Linux, but have heard good things as well.

Buddy Tignor said...

...we are a all Windows all the time organization :-(